Sendbird complies with EU-US Privacy Shield Framework
The Privacy Shield Framework ensures the protection of personal data as it is transferred between the European Union and the United States. Sendbird previously complied with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework, which the more rigorous EU-U.S. Privacy Shield replaced in October 2015.
The European Court of Justice invalidated the former framework after Edward Snowden leaked information about several global surveillance programs. Many were conducted by the US’s National Security Agency (NSA) and the Five Eyes Intelligence Alliance (FVEY) between Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States.
How does your mobile engagement score stack up?
In spite of this history, we hope the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield demonstrates our renewed commitment to our European customers.
Compliance with the Privacy Shield is voluntary and Sendbird pledges to uphold its 7 principles:
- Notice – To be open and transparent and to inform the customer how we collect, retain, and transfer personal information
- Choice – To allow customers to choose how their personal information is used
- Accountability for Onward Transfer – To act responsibly and ensure that third-parties handle personal information responsibly
- Security – To protect our customer’s personal information
- Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation – To use and process customer information only insofar as it pertains to the data’s purpose
- Access – To allow our customers access to their personal information
- Recourse, Enforcement, and Liability – To subject ourselves to the investigative and enforcement power of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
SendBird has further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to the BBB EU Privacy Shield, operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus (“BBB”), an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not resolved your complaint, please contact or visit (https://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers) for more information or to file a complaint. The services of BBB are provided at no cost to you.
Since we esteem corporate integrity and responsibility to be an essential part of our core values, we hope you, too, can see the value in these changes. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.